Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Let's Make a Difference

This year money has been tight for almost everyone and it's become just a little harder to find the money for a good cause.  Though large organizations (like the American Cancer Society, etc.) do great things, it's often hard to see the results of your donations.  You give what you can, and you maybe get a thank you card and a request for a future donation, but you don't really see the worth of your donation.  That good feeling you have when you the mail the check quickly dissipates. 
It's much more powerful when you can see the result of your goodwill and when you can experience that feeling of benevolence regularly.  This year as the season of giving nears I offer you that chance.
Below is a cause that was brought to my attention today.  If we can save the life of this poor cat I will use this blog to post regular updates and pictures so we can not only feel good about giving today, but hopefully for years to come.


"A volunteer picked up the below cat yesterday from the Euthanasia list, initially, the ACC believed she had been hit by a car- she had severe head injuries, trauma to her jaw and her nasal passage was completely shattered.
A volunteer brought her to a personal vet who removed her eye which was hanging from the socket and cleaned the rest of her head wounds. She is being kept there for monitoring and made it through the first surgery but will need a lot more extensive reconstructive surgeries to live.

The vet said because there weren't any injuries to her body it was unlikely she was hit by a car. The surgeon actually confirmed that she was most likely severely abused using a baseball bat. They also believe she had recently given birth to a litter- how many they don't know and the babies haven't been found yet (they believe they are dead).

While the damage is extensive, the surgeon felt that she could have good quality of life after some more work. As of now, however, she is out of the woods (there was concern she might not survive surgery), and is resting after her long ordeal. We have some donations that have been given specifically for her medical expenses, but given that she will need two more surgeries, they will sadly not be nearly enough. We contacted the Picasso Foundation but they are unable to help at this time.

She has further surgeries that will total about $7000. We have raised about $2000 in the past two days but have a bit to go. I know things are tight with the holidays but if you could even spare $5 it would be a big help in saving this little ones life.  If she gets better there are already people discussing fostering/adopting her.

Below is where you can donate to Anjellicle Cats (Tax Deductable) and make a note that it's for: the unnamed severely injured kitty 12/8/09.  (she will be named when she gets a bit better)

Please click the below site and scroll down to their "Donate" button. It will bring you right to their paypal page:
http://anjelliclecats.homestead.com/index.html

Anything you can spare would help! Thanks so much! Happy Holidays!"
 

9 comments:

  1. She is no longer unnamed. Funds for "Emma" are gladly being accepted either through Anjellicle Cats rescue or through Gotham Veterinary Center.

    I just visited with her this morning, and while she still has a lot to go through, she looks better. She is on a LOT of pain medication (my vet is adamant that her pain be kept to an absolute minimum during this process), and has a hard time moving, but she clearly likes attention and is even soliciting affection from the overnight vet techs in charge of her care. She was even described as "headbutting" for pets last night.

    She is not eating yet though, and an esophageal tube will be placed later today so that she can get the nourishment she needs to recover. More surgery is definitely in her future.

    Anything people could give would be greatly appreciated.

    And yes, my vet is an angel. I love her dearly. She has been my trusted vet and friend for many years now. I can't thank Dr. Bonnie Brown enough for all she's doing to help.

    Thanks,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartfelt thanks and blessings to Dr. Bonnie Brown and staff, Tara and all the staff at Angellicle Cats, and all other supporters for all they are doing to save and help Emma. I also resuced a very badly injured, 3 month old kitten this past summer, another apparent throwaway, but with some financial help from friends and family I was able to get her the very costly surgery and care she needed. Annabelle rehabbed beautifully and is now thriving as my 4th pet and the super active, curious, playful, sociable, loving and adorable kitty she was meant to be! My prayers are with Emma that she recovers just as well as did my Annabelle, and eventually gets the loving, caring, forever home and wonderful future she so deserves. Annabelle, my other 3 rescued pets and I are sending a donation and will print out this posting to circulate for others to do the same. Gentle hugs, kisses and get well soon wishes from all of us to dear sweet Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this cat survives and finds a loving home. She certainly deserves it, after what she has been through.

    I too have a cat that I found a few years ago on the street and she was injured pretty badly. I called Anjellicle (who I adopted from previously) and they didn't hesitate to direct me to her vet, who treated the kitten for her injuries. I only planned to foster the cat until a home was found, but who was I kidding?? No one. That cat came home from the vet and has been my little happy girl since then. She gets along well with my other cats and is a sweet loving pretty little girl who has healed almost 100%. She is still very shy and nervous around most people, but she gives me love like crazy and that's all I care about!

    Good luck with this poor baby. I hope she finds the life she deserves. You have given her a life, like so many other beautiful wonderful cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't understand how anyone could be so cruel to a poor defenseless animal. I was never a "cat person" until I met my wife and her beautiful, now 17 year old "pretty girl", Frisky. As a child, I was not always kind to strays, often using them as targets to improve my throwing accuracy, although I can thankfully say I don't recall hitting my targets very often-still doesn't make it right. I hope the love I feel for "Frisky" now can help offset the thoughtless acts of a child, and I hope my modest donation towards Emma's expenses can help further my penance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading the story of Emma broke my heart. I wanted to make a donation to an animal shelter this month, but after reading about Emma, I knew where my donation would go. $100 is not a lot, but I hope it helps. God bless that vet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things this year are extremely tight; but when I saw Emma in the Daily News I knew what I would do-no questions asked. I sent a $50 donation. I have lived all my life loving cats and right now, I have a beautiful Daughter named Chaka. I got her from the ASPCA and she is my best friend.Good Luck and Good Life for Emma in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter and I were both deeply moved by the story of Emma. We find it so hard to believe that any human being could be so cruel. Thank God, though, it seems as if Emma is in good hands now. As a Christmas present to me, my daughter donated to Emma's care and I matched the amount. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please post an update about Emma; I worry. I donated what I could earlier in the week. I just wish it was more, and I wish that this had never had to happen. It makes me cry that someone could be so cruel to an animal. It's heartening that there are people out there that care this much. It gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I took the picture of Emma which appeared with the Daily News story and was lucky enough to visit her a week later. She is an amazing creature. She has had an additional surgery on her jaw, is out of her collar, purrs loudly, uses her litter box, grooms herself and loves human attention. She will still need some additional surgery but her progress has been amazing and moving. We are hoping she will begin eating on her own and be rid of her feeding tube, but I haven't heard an update on that. Newer pictures are on her facebook page( "Emma her long journey back").

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete