Monday, December 21, 2009

A Decade of Laughter

As 2009 is approaching its end there are going to be a lot of ‘best of 2009’ and ‘best of the decade’ lists. My recent post on the DVD’s releases of Inglourious Basterds and The Hangover gave me the incentive to create one of my own. So now I’ll give you my list of the best comedies of the 2000’s.

(Please note that obviously I haven’t seen every comedy out there. For this list I’m also tending towards the ‘laugh out loud’ comedies. Van Wilder, Shaun of the Dead, and Finding Nemo are all good movies, but they won’t make my list. Maybe I should rename my list ‘Biggest Laughs of the 2000’s’?)

Zoolander (2001)
A cult favorite, this movie gradually grew to mass appeal. I was gonna give you one great memorable quote, but there are too many. If you have somehow missed this movie, you’ve missed out on a lot of laughter.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008)
This is the dream for anyone that’s been dumped: to meet someone better and to have the ex- come crawling back only so you can tell him/her to ‘shove-it’.

Anchorman (2004)
Will Ferrell was to the 2000’s what Adam Sandler was to the 90’s, and Anchorman was Will Ferrell’s Billy Madison. I can no longer talk about San Diego without saying “the whale’s vagina”.

Super Troopers (2001)
If you only see the first 5 minutes of this movie you know why it belongs on this list.

Wedding Crashers (2005)
Hilarious plot, good cast, nudity, and a few one-liners. Oh, and Isla Fisher and Rachel McAdams. Everything you need for a top notch comedy.

The Hangover (2009)
I talked about this the other day and I don’t want to belabor the point, but this movie is hilarious.

Zombieland (2009)
When history looks back on the later portion of this decade it will be remembered for wizards (Harry Potter), vampires (Twilight) and adult women reverting to tween status. Somewhere in there, hopefully this movie will serve to balance out the insanity. This is an instant classic.

40 Year Old Virgin (2005)
Like the phone-call scene in ‘Swingers’ much of this movie was just hard to watch. You couldn’t help but feel bad for Andy Stitzer, but you couldn’t help but to laugh at his pain. This movie made Steve Carrell a household name.

Superbad (2007)
When a movie spawns the career of several previously unknown actors you know it was good. Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Emma Stone, and Seth Rogen have all since gone on and starred in other comedies. “McLovin? What kind of a stupid name is that, Fogell? What, are you trying to be an Irish R&B singer?”

Old School (2003)
Who doesn't wish they could go back to college?


I know many of you will disagree with my list. Tell me why.

No comments:

Post a Comment