Thursday, December 17, 2009

Available Now

I'm not a big owner of movies.  Since my VHS tapes went out of style I've always figured DVD's would too and any money I invested would be wasted long-term.  Blu-Ray hasn't yet taken over the market, but it seems inevitable (until the next big things comes around anyway).  If I was the kind of guy that collected movies, however, this would be a big week.  The release of 'Inglourious Basterds' and 'The Hangover' makes it almost possible for me to justify buying $30 DVDs... ALMOST.

Inglourious Basterds is a film that must be taken at face value.  Despite being based around the very real holocaust there is little semblance of historical accuracy.  This farce has a few plot holes, but is well written, well acted, and highly entertaining.  If you want a real WWII story I recommend the Band of Brothers mini-series.  If you're just looking for 2 hours of entertainment Inglourious Basterds is a great choice. 

In my mind, there are 2 types of comedies: those that are full of one-liners intended to make you laugh out, and those that have 'funny' story lines, but less actual laughs.  'Airplane' and 'Spaceballs' would qualify in the first category, while 'Wayne's World' and 'Swingers' fit more in the latter (personal opinions of course).  With that clarification made, if you're looking to laugh your way through a good ab workout, I recommend The Hangover.

1 comment:

  1. I found Band of Brothers to be most insightful and different from other horror stories about the Holocaust. I felt so proud to know how some Jews fought back and survived. Shindler's list is an incredible story too...as is Life is Beautiful. Glad to read Gift and the Goods.

    ReplyDelete