Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Bobby Bowden Gets Seminole Chopped

Well, it’s official. Bobby Bowden, age 80, has ‘retired’ from coaching at Florida State University. I put retired in quotes because clearly he had no real choice. From the mid-80’s to 2000 FSU was at the top of the football heap and it was in no small part due to Bobby Bowden. To those who follow professional sports and understand the beast that is wins + money versus loyalty (see Notre Dame over the last decade for further proof) this forced retirement comes as no surprise. It is still sad none-the-less.

“He died right after he retired, and seeing that made me feel more conscious of a man needing a motive to live. If I ever got out of coaching, I would have to get a job somewhere, or I'm afraid I'd wilt on the vine, too.” – Bobby Bowden on the passing of Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant (most notably of the University of Alabama) in early 1983.

Hopefully this isn’t a self-fulfilling prophecy.


Some other notable quotes from Bobby Bowden over the years:

“After you retire, there’s only one big event left… And I ain’t ready for that.”
“Don’t go to the grave with life unused.”
“If somebody mistreats you, treat ‘em good. That kills ‘em.”
“The winning doesn’t feel as good as the losing does bad.”
“Son, you’ve got a good engine, but your hands aren't on the steering wheel.”

2 comments:

  1. The last time I checked....college football was not considered a "Professional Sport"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make no mistake about it.. college sports are all about money.. and thus they are Professional.

    ReplyDelete