Tuesday, March 16, 2010

ConCensus

It was brought to my attention that on this years Census form there is a movement in the works for everyone to check "OTHER" under the race category and write-in "AMERICAN."

The person who mentioned this to me and suggested it as a topic for me to discuss (I love when my fans do this) thinks this is an "awesome" idea. I, however, must respectfully disagree.

I think this is a great way to show unity in our country - for, we, are all Americans. However, the truth is, this country is far from unified - from the war-on-terror to abortion and gay marriage 'consensus' in this country is non-existent. Additionally, this country has always been proud of it's diversity and to disregard this on the census would be short-sighted... Despite my personal opinions (which will remain my own and are unimportant) on border closings or illegal immigrants, or the number of visas issued by our government each year, etc. it is important to get these statistics if possible. It is important to learn if efforts to make women equal in the workplace are working (or even if reverse discrimination has taken hold). It is important to know if minorities have the same opportunities of higher education or within the workplace. The bottom line is that although it seems like an innocuous question, taking into account with other information it can be pretty useful.

*Note: I have not as of yet recieved my Census form and have not seen the questions. I am sure if there is something blog worthy once I do, I will be all over it.

** Thank you to Jamer D. for bringing this to my attention.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be throwing mine out. Better luck next decade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Despite my personal opinions (which will remain my own and are unimportant)..."

    I thought that's what this blog was...Your Personal Opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John - Well played. This blog is definitely about my rants and thoughts on a number of topics, but my personal opinions on certain controversial issues shall stay my own.. I don't want to alienate any of my readership - at least beyond the occassional off color joke now and then..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because I was told to, instead of asked to.

    ReplyDelete