Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Things Movies Have Taught Me

While I was typing up that last post on the greatest sports movies of all time I realized that a lot of these movies (and others) have taught me some valuable life lessons.  Below are some lessons I have learned through movies.  (Of course a lot of this learning was passed on from my parents or learned from my own experiences, but the movies helped hammer home the points..  Also, some of these are maybe less 'educational' and more 'inspirational', but I want this post to have some substance.)

A Bronx Tale 
Calogero 'C' Anello: Sonny and my father always said that when I get older I would understand. Well, I finally did. I learned something from these two men. I learned to give love and get love unconditionally. You just have to accept people for what they are, and I learned the greatest gift of all. The saddest thing in life is wasted talent, and the choices that you make will shape your life forever.

Sonny: Alright, listen to me. You pull up right where she lives, right? Before you get outta the car, you lock both doors. Then, get outta the car, you walk over to her. You bring her over to the car. Dig out the key, put it in the lock and open the door for her. Then you let her get in. Then you close the door. Then you walk around the back of the car and look through the rear window. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in: dump her.
Calogero 'C' Anello: Just like that?
Sonny: Listen to me, kid. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in, that means she's a selfish broad and all you're seeing is the tip of the iceberg. You dump her and you dump her fast.

Sonny: You gotta do what your heart tells you to do. Let me tell you somethin' right now. You're only allowed three great women in your lifetime. They come along like the great fighters, every ten years. Rocky Marciano. Sugar Ray Robinson. Joe Louis. Sometimes you get 'em all at once.

Bull Durham
Crash Davis: Did you hit me with your right hand or did you hit me with your left? Huh? Did you hit me with your right hand or did you hit me with your LEFT?
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: My left.
Crash Davis: Good! That's good; when you get in a fight with a drunk you don't hit him with your pitching hand. God, I can't keep giving you these free lessons so quit screwin' around and help me up.

Rocky
Rocky Balboa: You hang out with nice people, you get nice friends. You hang out with smart people, you get smart friends. You hang out with yo-yo people, you get yo-yo friends. It's simple mathematics.

Rudy
Fortune: You're 5 foot nothin', 100 and nothin', and you have barely a speck of athletic ability. And you hung in there with the best college football players in the land for 2 years. And you're gonna walk outta here with a degree from the University of Notre Dame. In this life, you don't have to prove nothin' to nobody but yourself. And after what you've gone through, if you haven't done that by now, it ain't gonna never happen. Now go on back.

Ferris Bueller
Ferris Bueller: Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Stand By Me
Gordie: Do you think I'm weird?
Chris: Definitely.
Gordie: No man, seriously. Am I weird?
Chris: Yeah, but so what? Everybody's weird.

PCU
Droz: What's this? You're wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see? Don't be that guy.

Swingers
Art Imitates Life

Back to the Future
Goldie Wilson: [rushes up to George] Say! What do you let those boys push you around like that for?
George McFly: Well, they're bigger than me.
Goldie Wilson: Stand tall, boy. Have some respect for yourself. Don't you know if you let people walk over you now, they'll be walking over you for the rest of your life! Look at me. You think I'm gonna spend the rest of my life in this slop house?
Lou: Watch it, Goldie!
Goldie Wilson: No, sir! I'm gonna make something of myself. I'm going to Night School. And one day I'm gonna *be* somebody!
Marty McFly: That's right! He's gonna be mayor.
Goldie Wilson: Yeah, I'm gonna...
[smiles, one of his front teeth is gold]
Goldie Wilson: Mayor! Now *that's* a good idea! I can run for mayor.
Lou: A colored mayor, that'll be the day.
Goldie Wilson: You wait and see, Mr. Carruthers. I *will* be mayor! I'll be the most powerful man in Hill Valley. And I'm gonna clean up this town.
Lou: Good. You can start by sweeping the floor.
[hands Goldie a broom]
Goldie Wilson: [stands tall with a hand over his heart] Mayor Goldie Wilson. Like the sound of that.
[collects George's dishes]

 
These were the ones that were on the top of my head.  I'm sure more will come to me and they'll be a part 2 to this post.  In the mean time, please feel free to share with me.

3 comments:

  1. I like this post - can I add a chick-flick quote??

    A League of Their Own
    Dottie Hinson: It just got too hard.
    Jimmy Dugan: It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The 'hard' is what makes it great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello mmclaughlin,

    I am glad you enjoyed the post. I hope you enjoy the others as well.

    I welcome your chick-flick quote, although in this case I'm not even sure I'd qualify 'A League Of Their Own' as a chick-flick.. This movie was on Bravo TV last night and you can be sure that I watched it (for the nth time).. That is a great quote and fits this post perfectly. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. noticed it on Bravo...Also noticed that within 6 channel numbers (FiOS) I also saw The Money Pit, Forrest Gump, and That Thing You Do. Tom Hanks anyone?

    ReplyDelete