Monday, August 17, 2009

Cell Phone Bills

Another topic of posts that I see as being fairly common are 'things I don't understand.' Now, I am a relatively smart guy, but let's be honest, there are things in this world that don't make sense to me. Maybe it's because I am uniformed. Maybe it's because I'm a skeptic and a little (a lot) cynical. Maybe it's because some people are idiots. Regardless, I am pretty sure a blog is a great place to discuss such things.

Now, I don't understand cell phone bills. Why do the taxes and surcharges change every month? For simplicity sake, if my plan is $50 a month and taxes are 10% my bill should be $55 each month. Why isn't it? Why is my bill $54.22 one month and $57.83 the next?
Why is there a '9-1-1' surcharge? Isn't that what taxes are for to begin with? I appreciate what police do for me (on a grand scale, not everything, of course) and I'm glad for the ability to dial 9-1-1 in an emergency, but why does it cost so much? It's not a 900 number? Hell, I'd prefer if it was. Don't charge me every month. Charge me $2.99 when I actually use it. If I need 9-1-1 I'm sure that I'll be more than happy to pay the 'access' charge.
How come there's an additional "administrative" charge on my bill? Shouldn't that be including in my $50 monthly fee? Why does it change each month? Is it depending on how many times I have to call customer service? Shouldn't I get a discount each month if I have to sit on the phone with customer service?

WHY DO WE LET CELL PHONE COMPANYS, AND ALL OTHERS LIKE THEM NICKEL AND DIME US? Why don't we make them explain these extraneous charges?

(all cell phone costs were made-up for this post, but you get the point.)

1 comment:

  1. surprisingly, my last two cell bills were identical. eat that fool.

    ReplyDelete