Friday, July 15, 2011

Netflix Wins!

By now everyone knows that Netflix is upping their price.  It's been on the news and all over Facebook.  Outrage seems everywhere.  I have 3 points to make on this issue:

1 - Netflix has been talking for some time now about getting everyone onto their streaming service.  They do not like supporting the DVD service.  It is not cost effective for them (from buying rights to the newest movies to the shipping costs, etc. the larger the service grows the more of a losing proposition it becomes).   To everyone that thinks they are somehow "sticking it" to Netflix by canceling the DVD portion of their service, I'm sorry to say you are playing right into their hands... (I still think it makes sense to cancel the DVD portion, but that's personal opinion).

2 - Does Netflix plan to do anything about it's lack of quality streaming options?  I can't tell you how many times I try to find movies/tv shows on streaming that are only available via DVD.

3 - Throughout history it has been illegal to undercut a business to drive them out and then exorbitantly raise your rates.  Isn't this basically what Netflix has done with Blockbuster?  I'm not claiming them a monopoly and I understand why the government would let them get away with this, but shouldn't someone at least ask the question?  Especially as the governments go out of their way to look out for companies such as Netflix with their anti-piracy laws?  Again, I just wonder if the government is focusing on protecting the right people...   

No comments:

Post a Comment