Thursday, November 5, 2009

It's No Accident That I've Had No Accidents

I’ve already given some superficial advice on cars, but now, here is some practical knowledge.

Knock on wood, but I’ve only been in one VERY minor accident while driving (I was 17 and even my parents don’t know about it). Anyway, here are some very simple tips for avoiding trouble:

- If someone is driving with both hands (usually at 10 and 2) get away from them. This is a sign he/she is either a newer driver or uncomfortable behind the wheel. A car should be an extension of us. We should be able to guide it easily with one steady hand.

- I scan license plates. If the car has a personalized plate (that isn’t really tacky) I assume that the driver cares about his/her car; that he/she spends a lot of time in it. That he/she knows how to drive. I trust these people (as much as I trust any driver that isn’t me).

- I scan license plates. I notice where the drivers are from. People who aren’t from New York (for instance) think New Yorkers are the worst drivers in the world. Truth is, if you can drive in NYC, you can drive anywhere. If the car in front of me, on the other hand, is from Florida I assume the driver is past his/her prime and his/her eyesight may be going and his/her reflexes may be fading. I’m gonna be real careful until I can visually confirm the driver is not a member of AARP.

- I avoid cars with 3 or more passengers. Drivers can be distracted by phones and ipods and a million other things these days, but most of these are hard to detect from a distance. Four heads in the back window are much easier to spot.

- I’m not saying all women are bad drivers... I’m just not taking the chance that the one next to me is the exception.


While the above tips are for the more advanced, the biggest key to avoiding accidents is to keep alert.
-Notice the pattern of the car in front of you – does the driver have a steady pace or does his/her speed keep changing? Does he/she change lanes a lot? Does he/she come to a smooth stop or slam the breaks?
-Keep an eye on the rear view mirrors - know who is coming up from behind. Are they racing up? Are there other cars in their path? Are they likely to cut you off or ride your a$$?
-Observe what’s next to you - where will you go if the car in front of you stops short? Does the car next to you have a reason to change lanes; to cut you off?

Hopefully this is useful advice. Less accidents on the road are better for everyone.

Thanks Pops for teaching me how to drive.

2 comments:

  1. Boo, no asian warning. I'm allowed to say this because my kid is half asian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in the car with you and while you may be from NY, you do drive slightly aggressive and might I say way too close to other cars...

    ReplyDelete