Thursday, February 17, 2011

Goals

Recently goals have become a big part of my life.  With so much going on it's becoming too easy to let things go.  The gym, my writing, this blog. 

The only way I know to stay on top of things is to create goals.  To give myself something to shoot for.  Still, I have learned (through experience and even classes - management classes in particular) there are some rules to create meaningful goals.  Below are a few of these rules:

1) Goals must have deadlines.  A goal cannot serve to motivate you if there is no timeframe in which it must be attained.  The goal date should also be visual.  By that I mean it should be fairly short-term.  Think about the difference between a goal you have to hit in 3 weeks and one you have to hit in 3 years.  Which is going to get you more motivated?

2) Goals must be narrow.  Don't go to the gym "to get bigger"..  Go to the gym "to bench press XXX amount of weight".  Don't say "I want to post more in my blog", say "I want to post 15 times this month"..  See the difference?

3) Maybe most importantly, goals must be attainable.  Don't set a goal of "bench pressing 200 lbs in 3 weeks" if you're starting at 90 lbs.  You'll get discouraged by your lack of progress and give up before you ever started..

4) When you hit a goal, create a new one.  Don't settle. 

Go out and set some goals.  Follow the above rules.  Then report back.  Did you hit the goal? 

No comments:

Post a Comment