Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tupac - Smile

"Literally" is a word often misused.  Too many times do people use 'literally' as a descriptive word for emphasis.  No, it isn't literally hot as hell.  No, you didn't literally die from laughter. 

On the other hand, this song did literally change my life - for better or worse.  From when I first heard this song as a freshman in college I can track its impact on my life right up until today.  This song has directly led to friendships and "romantic' relationships.  It has led to joy I couldn't imagine and heartache I never wanted to.  Though I'm sure it's not written for the problems of a white kid from suburbia, this song has helped me through some bad times and given me hope that they'll be more good ones. 

I often talk about the Butterfly Effect on this blog - because I think it's fascinating - and this is a perfect example.  One silly little 4 minute song by a guy I've never met has altered my life is immeasurable ways. 

What songs have had a real effect on your lives?

The video has a pretty long intro.  If you're short on time skip ahead to about the 1 minute mark.  Also, if you get the chance I highly recommend VH1's Rock Doc on Tupac.  


Thank you (??) Nick L. for introducing me to this song and apparently changing my life forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment