Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Philly Tasing...

I tried to avoid talking about the kid that was tased at the Phillies game.  The media pretty much covered it and everyone has their own opinions on the topic, so I tried to just let it lie.  Alas, I cannot.  Still, despite the overwhelming media coverage, there are 2 points that I think were missed.  But, luckily, you have me to catch them.

1 - No matter where they stand on the issue everyone in the media agrees this kid posted no immediate threat.  It may be true that he didn't have a weapon and he posed no threat to those on the field, no one talks about the potential threat to those in the stands.  Luckily in this case he was just a stupid kid, but what if he was a decoy for a pick-pocket ring?  As security guards around the stadium and 40,000+ fans focus on this kid that leaves them vulnerable to a lot of other problems.  I'll just say 'pick-pocketing' as to avoid a national panic.

2 - The media always refers to this kid as a 'fan'.  "The fan who was tased", or "The fan who ran onto the field", etc.  I'm sorry, but this kid is not a 'fan'.  This kid is a schmuck who wanted to be 'cool' or get attention or win a bet.  No true fan risks being banned for life from the stadium of their favorite team.  No fan risks a good pitching outing for their own satisfaction. 

I am not a medical professional and I don't know the risks involved with tasers, but as far as I'm concerned it was fine.  Stop running on the field!

A good article on the topic: Taser Controversy (thank you Amy K. for sharing with me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment