Tuesday, April 6, 2010

You Make Me Sick

If you've watched the news in the last week you've inevitably heard the story of the soldier whose funeral was protested by a religious group who protests against the US Government because it allows homosexuality.  I won't recap the story because you can read it here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100331/ts_csm/291560 or all over the internet.

I will say this, however:

If this was my son's funeral I would not have sued these protestors.  I would have been arrested myself for assault and battery and possibly manslaughter.  And I'll tell you what, I would get off for temporary insanity.  There is no jury in the world that would commit this father for losing his mind and killing someone in this situation.  He is, undoubtedly a stronger person than I. 

I don't know where I stand on capital punishment and I am not, by nature, a vengeful person, but these people should have their children put on an island.  That island should be invaded and then when their children are killed we should protest at their funerals.  That would be justice if ever there was any.

There are so many things wrong here.  These same people who are anti-abortion and say 'all-life' is sacred are saying this soldier (and all soldiers) deserved to die - well, that doesn't make any sense does it?  These people are protesting against the government at the funerals of soldiers, soldiers who may or may not have the same religious beliefs as these extremists, but who are just following orders and who are dying to give us the very same freedom to protest that these clowns are taking advantage of. 

I also must give credit to my brother who made a very good point about this whole issue.  Freedom of speech is only relevant when people have the ability to get up and walk away.  When someone stands on a soap box and preaches that is fine.  The average person can choose to stand and listen or continue walking.  A funeral is a sacred place and while mourners may literally have the option to leave, they do not in reality. 

On these very same news channels we are hearing a lot recently about teenagers who have taken their lives because of continued and brutal bullying.  In many cases, the bullies are being punished for their behavior including within the court system.  Isn't this just a form of bullying?  Does the father need to take his own life to get justice?  Shouldn't we stop the madness before it escalates. 

I hope the Supreme Court does the right thing here...

2 comments:

  1. I disagree with you on every point. Once you take away a persons right to protest, especially *because* you don't have the same opinion, you start on a slippery slope.

    What about people protesting outside abortion clinics? Or people protesting outside the White house? These are places and people who can not get up and move away, so should we ban these types of protest?

    Your version of vengeance is particularly disturbing, what exactly have these peoples children done? Guilty by association?

    Areas of your post could be construed as inciting hated and even encouraging violence toward these people, last time I checked protesting was not a valid reason for justifiable homicide.

    I think people need to think very carefully about about taking away other peoples rights, it should certainly not be done on a currently of public outrage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I certainly respect your opinion and am glad you shared, but I counter:

    Abortion clinics and the White House have doors that can be closed.

    If you watch the news on this, many of the protesters were children. They aren't guilty by association. They were guilty.

    Protesting is not a reason for justifiable homicide. You are absolutely correct. But, this was not just a protest. It was a direct assault against a bereaved man. This was a 'targeted attack' against not a government but an individual. And these were not benign comments. "He deserved to die and you deserve to die." are threats.

    I do not condone violence. But I would in no way hold this man accountable for a violent outrage brought on by tremendous emotional stress.

    Additionally my point is simple. This man was tormented, took appropriate legal action, and is now being punished to the tune of $16,000 to pay for the legal expenses of bullies. That's ludicrous and unjust.

    ReplyDelete